Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Back to planning

I must be feeling better, as my research instincts have kicked in again.  I decided to pull up the clinic success rate stats for women 35-37 (N's age).  Houston IVF is #11 nationally.  Here's the rest of the list: http://fertilitysuccessrates.com/report/United-States/women-35-37/data.html

CCRM is #1.  When we were cycling, I followed a message board thread about CCRM because I know Houston IVF is a sister clinic.  Today, I was surprised how much higher the CCRM success rates are, though-- 67% vs. 56.7% live birth rate, according to the SART data.  The CDC stats are slightly lower for each-- 65.1% vs. 54.3%.  I don't know enough about the methodology to know why the stats are different.  Anyway, I wonder if it would be worth consulting with them.  Don't know-- just grasping at straws.

Of interest, here's a list of supplements that CCRM recommends: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s166/sh/c4c8adf3-a496-4870-866b-9902a46679ae/1d602a25373c42a0512800489f1e6fda

Advanced Reproductive Care Center of Irving is slightly higher than Houston IVF (#9), but I don't know that it makes enough of a difference to matter.

I've never really thought much about this end of the decision-making process-- comparing clinics and protocols and whatnot.  A whole new world of research.

Edited to add: I'm reading the CCRM thread again and a lot of women seem to be doing PBB-- polar body testing-- which is genetic testing of the egg's chromosomes that is done very early after fertilization, without taking a cell from the embryo.  It does require a frozen transfer, but I wonder if it might be a good option?  Houston IVF offers it: http://www.houstonivf.net/Services/PreimplantationGeneticDiagnosis.aspx

4 comments:

  1. CCS testing is better as it will tell you if the embryo is normal or abnormal. It gives more info rather than just looking at the egg. CCRM does CCS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cells taken for biopsy to assess chromosomes comes from what will become the placenta. CCS is done on a blastocyst and is a superior PGS type of testing compared to day 3 PGS testing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The appeal of PBB is that we don't have to wait for blastocysts to test. N has done 2 retrievals, one yielded 2 (or 1? not totally sure) blasts, 2 transferred, no pregnancy. The other- our transfer- yielded just 1 blast. We transferred it and a morula, got pregnant with 1. My understanding is that they want 5 or more blasts for CCS.

    Both times there were more that fertilized and got to 3 days, but they petered out after that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog from SMO.. So sorry about you and your IL's loss... I wanted to pipe in that you can email me any time you would like. We have had 2 chemicals at RBA ATL from FETs (embies created at CCIVF in NJ and were moved to ATL) and we did our only fresh transfer of blasts at Advanced Reproductive Care Ctr in Irving via our SIL as our GS. I also did the supplements you listed earlier along with some others (I did them for 8mos) you can email me at babydreams2011@gmail.com. Best of luck with everything!!

    ReplyDelete