Friday, June 28, 2013

19 weeks

19 weeks and all is well!  Total weight gain: 23.5 lbs.  Oof!  Growing big babies now.
 
Here's a picture taken before last night's aqua yoga class.  I've enjoyed the class, but I think that might be my last one.  I'm just so done by the end of the day that it's hard to get out there, even for a lovely, relaxing time in the pool.  This is certainly more uncomfortable than I've been at this point of a pregnancy in the past-- but if I'm measuring at 30ish weeks, maybe that's not unreasonable or unexpected.  Size is part of it, heat is part of it, and, though I hate to admit it, age is probably part of it.  Pregnant with triplets at 35 is not the same as pregnant with one little girl at 22.  Go figure.
 
The belly is big enough at this point that it gets in the way of fun, every day tasks like: bending at the waist to pick up something on the ground (yet I keep trying), sitting down on (and getting up from) anything lower than a standard desk chair, getting through tight spaces (I am constantly underestimating my width and bumping into things).  All a small price to pay!  Bring on the belly if it means three big babies.
 
To help with the belly and at the suggestion of my midwives and others, I just order a Prenatal Cradle.  I struggled with guessing the size, but ended up with Tall/Small, which is supposed to be for 5'10" and up (I'm 5'9", but I have a long torso... I didn't want something too short) and up to 200 pounds.  I'm probably only a month (or less) from being over 200 lbs., but some of the reviews said it ran big, and I tend to carry my weight a little smaller than some people.  I don't know-- it was a crap shoot and the worst that happens is I order another one in a month.
 
 
 
Belly support won over that foot bath I posted a while back.  I still want that.  And a huge pillow.  I may be a tad needy at the moment.
 
 
 
Babies are doing well.  Little movements here and there.  Strong heartbeats when I checked on them yesterday morning.  Here's what babycenter says about them this week:

How your baby's growing:

Your baby's sensory development is exploding! Her brain is designating specialized areas for smell, taste, hearing, vision, and touch. Some research suggests that she may be able to hear your voice now, so don't be shy about reading aloud, talking to her, or singing a happy tune if the mood strikes you.
Your baby weighs about 8 1/2 ounces and measures 6 inches, head to bottom — about the size of an heirloom tomato. Her arms and legs are in the right proportions to each other and the rest of her body now. Her kidneys continue to make urine and the hair on her scalp is sprouting. A waxy protective coating called the vernix caseosa is forming on her skin to prevent it from pickling in the amniotic fluid.
http://www.babycenter.com/6_your-pregnancy-19-weeks_1108.bc

I think the size comparisons are pretty unhelpful at this point.  Yes, they are each as heavy as a tomato.  But that's not a good visual reference at all, since they're much longer and skinnier.  Oh well.



I should mention, on a sad note, that the equivalent of today in our last pregnancy is likely when these babies' big brother passed away.  That morning, we all went to the anatomy scan and he was still alive and well.  But two weeks later, when it was confirmed his heart had stopped, he had not grown at all since that day, so we are left assuming he died soon after the ultrasound.  Just worth remembering.  You were special and you were loved, sweet baby.

As I'm typing this, Baby A (or possibly B?) is tap-tap-tapping me, as if to say "Don't worry!  I'm here! I'm fine!"  Yes, I know, baby!  All three of you are a-ok.  I still do not feel the worry that was always nagging me the last time around.  Sure, I like to check in and make sure everything's ok (and thank goodness for the Doppler), but there's an underlying trust and calm that, come October or November, we will get to meet three big, healthy babies.

Next up is appointment marathon on Wednesday, July 3.  Until then, adieu.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment