Monday, September 30, 2013

Here we go

I woke up this morning at about 6 to a gush of fluid. And then some more. No question about it- my water broke. 

I walked/waddled down to M and N's room, with my soaked pants and let them know. N called Dr. Dryden, who told us to go to the hospital for assessment. I called Rick and filled him in.  Threw some things in a bag (pretty blindly- I hadn't prepared for this at all). Drank some milk. Got in the car and headed to the hospital. 

In assessment, I peed in a cup, weighed in, and changed into a hospital gown. They started monitoring all the babies (they sound great).  The nurse started my IV and fluids. She took blood and did a GBS swab. And about then, we moved down to Labor and Delivery. 

Dr. Dryden met us down here. The babies went back on the monitors. They started mag sulfate in my IV, which slows down labor and can make you feel awful (but that should have been immediate, and I feel fine). She checked them out on ultrasound, and unfortunately, A is still breech, so we likely have a c-section in our future. She checked my cervix and I am 3 cm dilated, 70% effaced. I also got my first dose of steroids, an intramuscular injection in my left glute. 

The plan is to get both doses of steroids in at a minimum (they are 24 hours apart), which means hopefully nothing before 8:30 tomorrow morning. But the real plan is to wait as long as possible. As long as I'm not in active labor and don't have an infection, they won't deliver me. So, on the short side of things, I could deliver tomorrow. If we're super lucky, it could be 2+ weeks. Dr. Dryden says her crystal ball is broken, but most likely, we are looking at a few days as the best case scenario. Today I'm 32w3d. 

Oh, and it's definitely Baby A's sac that ruptured. That boy is trouble. 

So that's the current state of affairs. This is what we get for being cocky and thinking we would get to 37 weeks!  Thankful we've gotten this far. Hopefully, we have three big babies who just need a few weeks in the NICU. 

I'll leave you with a hospital bed self portrait. 


3 comments:

  1. Good luck! I will be sending positive, healthy vibes your way for whatever is to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simi- Thinking of you and your IP's today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many prayers for you all. You had every right to believe they would stay, but 32 weeks with triplets is amazing. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete