Saturday, September 14, 2013

30 week growth scan

The growth scan with Dr. Carpenter went well.  Turns out M, N, and A were all able to go, so we had quite the crowd in that little room.  Blood pressure was good (112/68, I think), fundal height was 42.5 cm, urine dip was clean, weight was fine.

The measurements on the babies are a little confusing to me-- in part just because everything is just slightly different than what Dr. Haeri's office did.

Here's the information I have printed out:

Fetus 1, Lowest Male, "AA"
Age based on measurements: 29.8 weeks
Presentation: breech; L.S.T.
No abnormalities
Heartrate 167 bpm
Amniotic fluid pocket 31 mm
Anterior Placenta

Fetus 2, Upper Left Female, "BB"
Age based on measurements: 30.9 weeks
Presentation: cephalic, L.O.T.
No abnormalities
Amniotic fluid pocket 38 mm
Posterior Placenta

Fetus 3, Upper Right Male, "CC"
Age based on measurements: 30.6 weeks
Presentation: breech; R.S.T.
No abnormalities
Heartrate 147 bpm
Amniotic fluid pocket 78 mm
Posterior Placenta

And what I remember Dr. Carpenter telling us was that A was 3 lbs., B was 3 lbs. 8 oz., and C was 3 lbs. 4 oz.

So what's strange about that is that A has *always* been our biggest baby.  Our 67%er.  And B has always been the smallest-- our <40%er.  So how have they suddenly switched sizes?  That seems off to me.  Dr. C said he saw testicles on Baby A (but no penis, due to position), so I have no real reason to think they've switched positions, but gosh, it's still hard not to think that.

In any case, because A's abdominal circumference fell off his normal growth curve, Dr. C will scan him again in two weeks to see what's going on.  Intuitively, I think it's nothing.  A discrepancy due to the "art" in scanning.  But it's good to have another look (and I'll be there anyway!).

So the other thing that makes this all confusing is the second page of printed results, that gives graphs of projected sizes.  For each baby, it lists a projected 38-week birth weight (not that we'd get that far):

Fetus 1: 6 lbs., 9 oz.
Fetus 2: 6 lbs., 1 oz.
Fetus 3: 6 lbs., 2 oz.

So it's strange to me that A is still projected to be the largest baby, when according to this week's scan, he's the smallest.  I guess it's based on the overall growth curve, rather than one week's measurement.  I just really think that measurement was off.

M asked Dr. Carpenter when he thought the babies would be 5 lbs.  Dr. Carpenter said he'd never really thought about it that way, but when he looked at the growth curves, he thought at about 33 weeks.  That seems early to me.  If they have 3 lbs. to gain in 8 weeks, that's .375 lbs./week on a straight line curve-- which would make them 5 pounds at about 34-35 weeks.  That feels more reasonable to me.  But hey, if they want to be monster babies at 33 weeks, that's OK by me.

Anyway, I will be back in this week for a quick checkup, and then again the week after for the scan of Baby A.  Until then, I'll just be hanging out with these 10-pounds-ish of baby.  Eep!

No comments:

Post a Comment