Thursday, April 5, 2012

Not Crazy

Rick and I headed to Houston yesterday morning after dropping the girls off at school.  First up was a lining check at Houston IVF.  No grouchy front desk person this time and no wait-- I was whisked right back to a room.  Lining was 17.2mm by one measurement and 16.4mm by another and had a triple stripe pattern, just as they want to see.  Then I gave one tube of blood for an estradiol check which must have been fine too.  Mock cycle complete!

Then Rick and I had our interview with Leslee Murphy as part of the psychological evaluation.  We talked about our backgrounds, our relationship, our previous experience with surrogacy, and our expectations for this journey.  Leslee was great-- very easy to talk to and covered all of the bases.  Once we'd talked for a while, Rick was excused so that I could take the MMPI.  I've taken it before and what a treat-- 567 true/false questions designed to reveal my darkest inner secrets.  Fun way to spend the lunch hour.


Hmm.  No idea why that picture is rotated.  Oh well.  That's my before and after MMPI series.

When I finished the test, I went downstairs to grab something for lunch.  Then Rick and I came back up for our joint session with Leslee, M and N.  In the joint session, we talked about lots of "what ifs"-- pretty much all of the worst-case scenarios.  Even on the issues we hadn't already worked on through the contract negotiation process, we were on the same page on just about everything.  I think we're all pretty easy-going people, so that helps.

When Leslee gave us her blessing, we asked to talk with Barb about next steps-- when do we get to transfer???  She said my protocol will be 5 weeks long and N's will be 3 (she's doing a micro dose protocol, I think?).  So I have a prescription for Provera that I will start tonight.  I will take it each night for 10 days, then I will get my period 2-3 days later.  I am to call Barb on CD1 and she will tell me when to start birth control pills (I have that prescription too).  Meanwhile, N is due to start her cycle Monday or soon thereafter.  She'll also start birth control pills and that will help regulate when the next cycle starts.

No real details about the protocol otherwise.  I did verify that I'll be using Crinone instead of PIO injections for progesterone.  Hallelujah.  The only shot will be Lupron, which is subcutaneous and truly no big deal-- I've done that before.  Otherwise, pills, patches, and Crinone gel.  Perfect.  I don't want to be a weenie, but after experiencing IVF without IM injections once, I was not seeking a new experience!

After we talked with Barb, she had Rick and I get updated STD blood testing.  So with my second needle stick of the day, I gave another 5 (or 6?) tubes and Rick gave two.  Then, N and I went to the Eastern Harmony office down the hall to find out about acupuncture.  Studies show as much as a 40% increased success rate from using acupuncture, so I am really glad that we're doing this (I did it with my first surrogacy as well).  But poor N, who is not a fan of needles, has to go 1-2 times per week from 4/20 through transfer and I only have to go the day of transfer, once before and once after.  Sorry N!

So then our marathon day at the clinic finally came to a close.  We decided to stop by N and M's house before going to dinner.  They're at the tail end of an extensive (and beautiful) remodel, so there were a LOT of people around-- workers and family.  Everybody was so nice and welcoming to us.  We got to meet their daughter, A, who is lovely-- smart, friendly, affectionate, and articulate.  She showed off their spectacular backyard and the neighborhood peacocks.  My girls are never going to want to leave!  N's mother was especially warm and friendly and told us she prays for this every day.

We had dinner at Perry's Steakhouse, which was indulgent and just super fun.  We ate an enormous amount (and could hardly get up afterwards) and talked and laughed.  Totally easy conversation.  Rick and I left with such good feelings about this whole experience.  We really, really want to make A a big sister-- this is just an incredible family (immediate and extended) and I know good times are coming for them.  I absolutely feel like we're all in the right place for this to happen.  Come on, May!

1 comment:

  1. buy super p force online take it 1 to 3 hours before anticipated sexual activity. Do not take it more than once every 24 hours or every day.

    ReplyDelete