Thursday, February 7, 2013

Pity my veins

11 more blood tests, coming up. This is all of the testing Dr. Berry ordered to try to figure out a reason for the loss. I hope there are answers!

Waiting in the lab now...

 
Edited to add the rest of the story:
 
I hate to wait a long time because the computer system went down and they needed to confirm all the vials they'd need for the tests.  Final count?  16!  A new personal best for me.  Yahoo.
 
I started getting a little light-headed after the first ten.  And my blood flow slowed way down.  So we took a break after 12.  The (very nice) phlebotomist went to find me a Sprite, but they didn't have any, so I got to drink a few sips of some lab grade glucose drink.  Yummo!  Or not.  But it did help me feel better.  Switched to the right arm, got the final 4 vials, and I was out of there.  Stopped for a soda and a taco on the way back to work, because I was still a little woozy.  Come to think of it, an hour later, I'm still a little shaky, but doing better all the time.
 
Dr. Berry is looking for any kind of clotting or immunological issue that could have affected the placenta and contributed to the loss (clotting would be most likely).  If we find something, that's great news, because he'll know how to treat it, so we don't have to face another loss.  If we don't, he'll make his best guess of a course of preventative treatment-- probably daily Lovenox (blood thinner) injections starting at confirmation of pregnancy.  He says he'd hate to have me on daily injections without a diagnosis, but I am all for it.  Really-- if that's our best bet for a healthy baby, sign me up.  Lovenox is what I was hoping for, really.  It would make me feel better to know we were doing all we can.
 
Test results in about a week or 10 days and then we'll have a battle plan.
 
Incidentally, I also had blood work drawn last night.  Turns out my Hep C screen tripped the trigger for reactive (results between 1 and 8 require a second test and mine was 1.78), so I had to have a confirmatory negative test drawn.  I have exactly zero risk factors for Hepatitits C, so nobody's concerned, but we need the green light to proceed with the cycle.  So 17 vials in 24 hours!  Yeeha!
 
In other not-exactly-exciting news, today is my last day of doxycycline.  So put that in the history books and let's move on to the next step.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment