Thursday, August 1, 2013

Speaking in superlatives

So beyond pretty pictures, here's how my appointment went.
 
The sonographer was terrific.  I wish I could remember her name, but for whatever reason, I drop the poor sonographers' names as soon as they same them-- inconvenient mental block.  But it was her birthday and she did great.  Immediately labeled the babies and kept track of who was who, got great views on everyone.
 
Baby A is breech, as he has been pretty much the entire time.  He and I are going to have to talk about that, because I need him to be head down.  You hear that, Mr. Man?  It's time to stop sitting on my cervix and get your head down there.  But he is still a big boy.  He weighs 1 lb., 8 ounces and is in the 64th percentile as compared to singletons (where 50% is average).
 
 
Miss Baby B changed position a bit during the ultrasound, but she was cephalic (head-down) for the most part.  She also enjoyed kicking Baby A in the head (she's trying to tell you to do what you're supposed to, A!  Listen to your sister!).  She is now the most petite of the trio, weighing in at 1 lb. 5 ounces.  That puts her in the 25th percentile for singletons, but the more important measure is that she is 87% of her biggest brother's size, which is still comfortably in our hoped-for range of everybody being within 20% of each other.
 
 
Baby C is all over the place.  Breech, then transverse, then head-down.  He's a free spirit, or maybe just a camera hound, since he ended up positioning himself quite nicely for his 3D face pics.  He's probably stayed the most consistent in growth percentiles, but that's now earned him a #2 spot in terms of absolute size.  He is 1 lb., 6 ounces-- 37th percent in the growth percentiles and 92% of big brother A's weight. 


My cervix is completely unchanged-- long and closed, mucous plug intact, no sign of any kind of change whatsoever.  Dr. Haeri said "Bob [Carpenter] is going to love this cervix!"  My personal highlight of the appointment, though, was when he said:

"These are the easiest triplets I've had in at least four years."

YES!  I mean, I'm not competitive or anything (ha), but I do love me a superlative.  Not easy-- EASIEST.  Good job, babies!  Good job, me!

So assuming all stays the same, I'll have two more appointments with Dr. Haeri before I pack my bags and head to Houston.  Completely happy staying on the "easiest" train, so I'll just claim my seat and stay here.  He gave me a lab slip for my glucose tolerance test/gestational diabetes screen, so I'll go in to the lab sometime in the next week to do that.  Not thinking it's going to be a problem, especially since my fasting sugar tested so low recently.

I will say that I'm inspired to stick to the danged Brewer diet.  I realize that Babies B and C are completely respectable sizes and, considering the margin of error, could even be as big as Big Bubba A.  BUT, even though I'm not competitive, at all, I would sure like them to jump up in the percentiles.  What do you say, babies?  Can we compromise on 51%?  Just a little above average?  Because I know you are above average babies.

If I'm this bad with pressuring babies in utero, don't you feel bad for my kids?  "An A, Andie, really?  Couldn't you try a little harder and get the A+?"  I'll pretend I haven't actually had that conversation.  Eek.

No comments:

Post a Comment