Thursday, May 3, 2012

Two Way Street

I emailed with Barb yesterday about questions I had regarding the calendar.  I'm glad I did!  The calendar doesn't say anything about Lupron after next week, but I will apparently be on it all the way up until N triggers and I start taking progesterone.  Important to know.  That's how it worked with my last protocol too, but I wouldn't have known without asking.  Three Lupron injections down now, no issues at all.  Last night was my last birth control pill too.  Moving forward!

Morning Edition had a story this morning about fetal cells passing into the mother's bloodstream and staying there, for good.  They found fetals cells living in the mother 40-50 years after the last pregnancy!  Different theories about what the cells are doing-- helping or hurting-- and it seems the answer is probably a little of both (making some conditions worse, helping attack others).

Combine that with the theories of epigenetics-- that mothers/carriers play a role in how the genes in an embryo are expressed-- and it seems there's a blurrier line in gestational surrogacy than you might think at first glance.  Although the baby is genetically distinct from the carrier, we will each permanently influence the other.  Our influence-- both ways-- lasts far beyond nine months gestation.  Interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment