Friday, June 1, 2012

Egg retrieval

N's egg retrieval was scheduled for 8 this morning.  We exchanged a couple of texts last night-- everybody was feeling good and optimistic.

So all I could think of this morning was the retrieval.  I sat on my hands until about 9:30, then texted M to see how it went (didn't want to bug N in recovery).  He texted right back and said they were still in the waiting room!

So more waiting.  Waiting, waiting.

And then, at 11, another text from M:  "13 eggs.  Last time it was 7."

I cried!  I didn't think I was being emotional about this, but 13 is just so awesome and I was so happy.  I was expecting 7-8, based on what N had said before.  13!  So great.

And... last time, Cara had 13 eggs (which, strangely, turned out to be 14-- one was hiding or something).  And 13 is my lucky number (and my birthday).  I feel good about 13.  Yay 13!

So now we sit and wait again (surrogacy = waiting) for tomorrow's fertility report.  For a little context, with my first transfer, 13 eggs turned into 8 developing embryos at day 2.  Seven of those continued developing to day 5.  Supposedly, that was a little over average.  According to Cara's research, 13 eggs should have yielded five early stage embryos (60% of eggs mature, and of those, 60% fertilize).  With M and N's last transfer, 7 eggs yielded 2 embryos on day 5 (so at the same rate, we'd get 3 or 4 this time).

Five would be great.  4 would be great.  2 or 3 would be just fine!  We'll see soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment