Friday, June 7, 2013

16 weeks

So I already posted a spoiler, I suppose, by putting up all the ultrasound pictures.  The appointment went really well.  Yes, it really does take forever to measure every imaginable body part on three babies (about an hour and a half, I think).  Phew!  But at least I sat up and stretched between each one. 

They are all perfect and beautiful, per Dr. Haeri.  No concerns at all.  And they are definitely boy-girl-boy (A-B-C).
 
Baby A is breech at the moment.  He is in the 62nd growth percentile.
 
Baby B is cephalic (head down).  She is in the 55th percentile, I think?  Mid fifties for sure.
 
Baby C is cephalic.  He is in the 48th growth percentile.  He was the most active of the three-- it was hard to get the measurements on his extremities, because he was punching and kicking so much!
 
Dr. Haeri says that every time I come in, the two primary things they'll be looking for (now that we know everybody is completely formed correctly-- so all they need to do is grow) are (1) whether the babies' growth is concordant-- in other words, whether they're sharing resources nicely and all growing at the same rate and (2) what my cervical length is and if there have been any changes.
 
So this time, on point 1, they're looking super.  All in the same size range, all playing nicely.  He says this bodes well for the future, because usually when there is a major size discordance down the road, you can look back at the early ultrasounds and see that there were issues from the beginning.
 
On point 2, everything is also looking super.  My cervix was 4.57 cm (he wanted it over 2.5 cm), which he said meant it has a padlock on it.  Nothin's getting out of there.  He said that meant I should not cut my activity at all-- keep up full, normal activity.
 
He told me I should start taking 1500 mg in extra calcium, which is to counteract the negative effects on my bone density from being on Lovenox.  He recommends getting that by eating three Tums per day.  Tums kind-of freak me out (they look so chalky), but I will give it a college try, just for Dr. Haeri.  I'm already taking a calcium supplement and I eat a huge amount of dairy, so I think my bones are going to be super strong.
 
And that's about it from the appointment.  All good news.  That's how we like 'em.
 
So, as a general 16-week update...
 
I weighed 169.1 lbs. this morning.  I need to just decide where I'm measuring the weight gain from (starting weight 162ish, lowest weight 158ish), so I'm going to go for easy math and say 160.  I know I've probably debated this before in here, but this is my final answer.  So, 9.1 lbs. up at 16 weeks. 
 
I'm feeling good in general, though the summer heat is rough.  By the time I get home at night, I feel just... heavy.  Kind-of rundown, but not really sleepy.  It's better if I manage not to get too hot, but, well... that's getting more difficult, since it's June in Texas!  But really, overall, no complaints.  I feel like I'm doing pretty well at this point.
 
Here's what babycenter says about 16 weekers: 

How your baby's growing:

Get ready for a growth spurt. In the next few weeks, your baby will double his weight and add inches to his length. Right now, he's about the size of an avocado: 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and 3 1/2 ounces. His legs are much more developed, his head is more erect than it has been, and his eyes have moved closer to the front of his head. His ears are close to their final position, too. The patterning of his scalp has begun, though his locks aren't recognizable yet. He's even started growing toenails. And there's a lot happening inside as well. For example, his heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day, and this amount will continue to increase as your baby continues to develop.
And here's what they say twins would look like at this stage (just picture an extra head-down baby in the middle there):
I guess that's it.  Fun day today-- glad the trio is looking so good.  Keep growing, guys (and girl)!  From here on out, I'll be getting cervical checks with Dr. Haeri every 2 weeks, and growth scans every 4, in addition to the who-knows-how-often OB appointments.  Nobody will accuse us of having not thoroughly monitored this pregnancy!
 
Oh, and someone on facebook posted a picture of their kid with her feet in one of these:
 
 
 
That's pretty much a pregnancy essential, right?  For the swollen, tired feet?  Think I can convince Rick?  I think the triplets need one.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment