Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Weight obsessing

So I've had this goal number of 36 lbs. by 24 weeks floating in my head, but I couldn't remember where it came from.  When I googled, Dr. Barbara Luke's book When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads came up.  On one hand, that book is something of a bible for multiple pregnancy.  Lots of good information.  On the other, Dr. Haeri told me not to read it, because it would drive me crazy.  Too late, because I read it three years ago.  But I haven't picked it up since.

Anyway, here's the section that mentions the 36 by 24 stat, which is apparently from a study, judging by the indication of a footnote (but I am lazy and not looking it up):


Ok, I'm convinced.  And I think if I eat like a crazy woman between now and then, I might make it.  I do need to amp it up, though-- I'm more on track to get to 30 lbs. by 24 weeks right now.

But then I read on.  The study talked about 36 lbs. by 24 weeks, but that's not Dr. Luke's suggestion.  Oh no, that would be too easy!  Here's her optimal weight chart:


Yeah, 35. lbs by 20 weeks isn't happening.  I love the trio, I love their family, I will do everything I can to grow them big and strong, but the likelihood of me gaining 24 pounds in the next three and a half weeks is approximately zero.

A little later in the book, she also says the 24 week goal for triplets is 45 pounds.  That seems more attainable than the 20-week goal, but still a huge stretch!

All the interest in weight gain came from my numbers-obsessed project of making an excel spreadsheet and scatter line graph of my gains so far.  Still a long way to go...


No comments:

Post a Comment