Friday, March 29, 2013

Bleeding

I thought the ultrasound would be the only exciting event this week- unfortunately not so!  Yesterday, I was standing talking to someone at work when I felt three gushes of what I knew had to be blood.  Sure enough, I went to the bathroom and my underwear was soaked.  Bright red.  I packed up and went back home to spend the day in bed.

My first instinct was that bedrest and hydration was really the only thing I could do.  I got in touch with Andrea at Houston IVF (Barb is out of the office) as well as Gayle, and they agreed it was best to lay low and wait for my ultrasound, since it was just a day away.  The blood slowed down a bit when I was laying down, but it was still going strong anytime I got up to use the restroom.

Rick called to check on me at about lunchtime.  When he did, I stood up and ended up (sorry, this is gross) passing an enormous clot-- about half the size of my palm.  I'd never bled in a pregnancy until the last one, and I'd never, ever seen a clot like this except maybe after childbirth.  Not an experience I was looking for!  I (gross again) picked it apart with a pair of tweezers to make sure it was really just a clot-- it was.  And my bleeding continued to be "pure" blood-- no tissue or fetal sac or anything.

The bleeding slowed substantially after that, but it was still definitely "bleeding" rather than "spotting."  No cramping at all, which made me optimistic it was not a miscarriage, but instead a SCH (subchorionic hemorrhage, a common IVF side effect).

But I really didn't know if we should expect 0, 1, 2, or 3 babies at the ultrasound this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment